Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: herpes?

reindeer - Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:25 am

For the past couple years, sometimes when I am sick or hungover, I get this bump in my groin area. It's always in the same location on my inner thigh. It usually is a slightly red sore patch about the size of a 1/2 dollar with one lump in the middle like a pencil eraser. It's very tender but usually goes away in a day or two. The first time it happened, it freaked me out enough that I went to the emergency room. Although they didn't do any tests they told me it looked like an ingrown hair and seemed really unconcerned. I would like to get it checked out but whenever it happens, it's gone before I can get in to see a doctor.

Does this sound like Herpes? I have never had a sore anywhere else....

If I were to go to a clinic to get tested, could I do this anonymously or do they have to report me or something...

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:28 pm

User avatar Generally Herpes lesions initially look like a blister that then crust over. Your lesion may or may not be a herpes lesion.

Often there are STD clinics that can see someone anonymously. Cultures can be done to prove it is the herpes virus but often just a visual exam is needed to be pretty sure of the diagnosis.

reindeer - Thu May 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Is it usual for only one sore to develop in the same place and the same way ever time?

If I go to a free clinic will they make me give them a list of sexual partners and contact them?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 1:07 am

User avatar It would be a little unusual, but not impossible, for a herpes sore to develop in exactly the same place each time. The sores may be in the close vicinity, however.

Regarding the clinic, they usually do not require lists of partners or do any tracking down. Generally, they are too busy to do this.

yomi - Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am

I am 42 Male. I want to find out the best way to treat genital herpes there are so many products claiming all sorts on the internet. Since it is well known now that there is no known cure for the simple occurence of blisters on the genitalia, what is your advice?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 10, 2007 11:07 am

User avatar I would see a doctor rather than buying anything over the internet. There are antiviral medications to treat this but I would recommend a prescription. Once you have the correct diagnosis and recommended medication, you may be able to purchase it through internet resources. Because they can sell anything online and you don't know exactly what you are getting, i would only do it after the doctor's diagnosis.

|