News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Might this be herpes?

jik063 - Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:26 pm

Sex: Male
Past Diagnosis: Negative
Past Surgery: None
Family History: None
Current Meds: None

I recently have noticed a sore on my penis, right below the head. Along with that, there are a couple of bumps, red and white, on the shaft, which look like a blister or a pimple ready to pop. I have not had sex in a year, since my fiance and I broke up. We were both faithful with one another. However, I now live with an old friend who has herpes. I don't know if I can get it from him. Sometimes, when i come home he is laying in my bed watching tv. Could I somehow have gotten infected with his herpes? Moreso, I have gotten some sores from masturbating too aggressively, but havent done so in a while. Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:52 pm

User avatar It is possible that you have a herpes sore based on your description.

It is unlikely that you have contracted the herpes virus from your bed linens. The herpes virus is not very strong and dies quickly outside the body.

Herpes can remain dormant for months or years in some people. If you are infected, the infection may have occurred a long time ago.

I would suggest you see a doctor for a direct examination. There are usually anonymous STD clinics available if you prefer.

Best wishes.
 jik063 - Tue May 01, 2007 6:43 pm

is it possible to have transmitted to my previous partner if the virus was dormant?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 am

User avatar The virus can still be spread even if it is latent. The risk is much higher with active lesions but does not go to zero without them.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here