Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Severe Abdomen and Back Pain After D&C

colleen8795 - Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 pm

I am a 32 year old female. In January, I had to have a D&C due to a missed miscarriage. Everything seemed fine until about 10 days after the D&C. I started having sharp pains in my abdomen. I went to the ER, a pelvic exam was done, urine was checked, I didn't have a fever so they sent me home. That week the pain got worse so I went to my gynecologist who had performed my D&C...he did a pelvic exam and told me he didn't see any pus so I didn't have an infection. The pain got even more worse where I was going to the doctor every 3 days. The pain moved from my lower & mid abdomen into my low back. My doctor then said he wanted to do laprascopy to see what was causing the pain. I had the laprascopy done in Feb. where some minor endometriosis was found mostly just on the outside of my uterus (stage 1). My doctor declared that was why I was in extreme pain. Well in March I started to doubt him so I went and got a second opinion from another doctor who immediately prescribed me Augmentin since he thought too maybe I had some kind on infection (mind you my white blood cell count had been checked and was normal) I actually felt cured...and asked my doctor if I could try to get pregnant again, he gave me the go ahead. I got pregnant on the first try and again felt fine until I was about 5 weeks pregnant and the pain came back full blown. At 6 weeks pregnant, I went and saw another doctor from the same clinic as the one who prescribed me Augmentin and he did an ultrasound, where as it showed a healthy fetus and heartbeat in the uterus. This doctor though was concerned with infection so he prescribed me Zithromax. He said he wanted to give me other antibiotics but I was pregnant so it was limited what he could give me. Well I am starting to feel better but I am worried since i am pregnant & don't want to miscarry again. I have a few questions: Would you recommend I tell my doctor to treat me again once I am done taking this antibiotic so it doesn't come back? What are the chances this is PID (that is non STD related) I was checked by the way for all STDs and they were negative. Would PID caused from a D&C procedure need different treatment than STD related PID? Also wouldn't the laprascopy have shown inflamed organs.

Thank you in advance for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 08, 2007 5:37 pm

User avatar Well, this is certainly puzzling. I really don't know what is going on with you but I would not recommend additional antibiotics. They don't typically work preventively anyway and overuse of antibiotics leads to resistant strains of bacteria. There are some cases of recurring infections such as UTIs where a low-dose maintenance helps but for most infections, this is not the case.

Treatment would vary depending on the organism - bacteria or virus. I'm not certain about what would show up on a laparoscopy. Perhaps someone else on the boards can better answer that question. I'm sorry I can't be more help. You can get a fact sheet on PID here: http://www.cdc.gov/std/PID/STDFact-PID.htm

|