News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: helicobacter pylori

youngpat - Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:53 pm

am a male of 34 and a have just been diagnosed with helicobacter pylori,how long after being given medication will i start being on the mend and not have this severe pain am in,and also is it normal to have black stool and blood coming from my nose,the pain is always there and does not seem to ease even when i take my painkiller which is tramadol.i got diagnosed 5 days ago.please help cause a cant suffer this pain much longer.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:44 pm

The eradication treatment for Helicobacter pylori consists of 3 drugs - an antisecretory drug and two antibiotics - to be taken over a period of one week.

The triple therapy treatment is highly effective and long-term healing of gastric and duodenal ulcers can be achieved rapidly. Two-week therapy with the triple drug regimen offer higher eradication rates compared to one week regimen, but adverse effects are common.

The passage of black stools is an indication that the ulcer is complicated by haemorrhage. In such conditions, the antisecretory drug can be be given for a longer time.

Have you undergone gastroscopy and is your doctor aware of the black stools, nose bleeds and persisting pain? If not, you must go back urgently for a re-evaluation.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here