Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: herpes

glowstick - Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:13 am

so this is embarassing!.. i was diagnosed with herpes.. still unable to trace where exactly it came from .. i have not had many partners and when i have had i have always been carefull.. just unlucky i guess... the first time the pain and spots were on my penis .. very painfull. now i have severe pain on my anus. it is killing me.. i have developed spots and the pain is so severe i cant sleep .. it has been here for 3 days now. my glands around my groin have swollen up .. and im guessing it is herpes back again.. i have always had (since i was a boy ) im 30 now.. itching around my anus .. some time s i find myself (or so i haev been told) straching it in my sleep very voilently. this is as you can imagine embarassing.. are these related? i wish i could find a cure for the itching. but i guess this is a seperate issue as it has been going on alot longer than the herpes.. i live in england and have visited my g.p and always get told it is nothing .. the state of the british nation health system i guess. so can you shed some light onto my 2 problems here. any help would be greatly appreciated..
thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:35 pm

User avatar This must be very frustrating for you. I'm glad you have seen a doctor and sorry you have not found answers. In most cases anal itching, which is more common in men than women, is of no known cause. But there are some things that irritate some people this way so I will mention some, in case anything might apply to you.

Dyes, perfumes, and chemicals on toilet paper can bother some people. Food sensitivities can also be manifest in this way, the most common culprits being chocolate, beer, caffeine, nuts, dairy, and spicy foods. Genital warts might also be present, causing itching and of course, hemorrhoids. Sweating and too-tight underwear can also contribute to the problem, so you can try taking measures to eliminate these culprits. You may also consider keeping a diary of foods and other situations such as irritants to see if there is a pattern that would allow you to identify anything that is particularly bothersome for you.

In altering diet, you could eliminate the high risk foods listed here for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference, then try adding back only one food at a time, possibly one food in each week, then if there is a sensitivity, you might be able to identify which food is causing the problem.

You should follow up with your doctor again about the herpes since this is the most likely reason for the pain, swelling and possibly even the itching, though it could be two separate issues entirely. Treatment is available in the form of antiviral medication. Good luck.

|