Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Chronic Pain following HSV 1 Infection

mstngdvr17 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:09 pm

I am a 25 yo, white male, with no history of medical problems before this began. Also have no family history of medical problems that resemble what is currently happening to me.

This problem began in January of 2005 with a primary infection of herpes simplex 1 with flu like symptoms and a sore on my middle finger, right hand (I bite my fingernails and infected my finger while biting them during the virus's initial onset.) Was told it was the herpes virus and was told not to worry as it was a very common virus.

A few months and cold sores later I developed a stinging, burning pain around my penis. No sores were present yet this pain persisted, non-stop 24 hours a day. I went to the doctors to get it looked at and was provided with no diagnosis and no relief to the problem.

April 2005, woke up with a very red right eye. Went to the doctors, ran some tests, and again got no diagnosis. Was told to rest and see if it would resolve on it's own. Three days later it was gone but other problems began to arise. I would wake up every morning afterwards to flaky skin under my right eye. A slight tingling sensation also began, though it was nothing compared to the pain around my penis. Cortisone cream was prescribed and the flaky skin under my right eye went away and never came back. The sensation slowly progressed into a burning, stinging pain that resembled the pain around my penis. This is when I went to my doctor and told him I was really starting to suffer. A long road of visits to specialists began...neurologists, opthamologist, virologist, pain management doctors...and two years later I still have no answers!

The pain has been controlled with narcotics and lyrica but how long can that continue? I'm 25 years old and don't want to become dependent on these pills just to get around day to day. I can't believe that in this day and age I've gone two years without getting any possible diagnosis or plan to treat the underlying problem. I'm desperate for help. All anyone is focused on these days is getting me off the painkillers without giving me any alternate plan to treat my pain.

I apologize for the length of this post but my problem seems to be more complex than most that the doctors around here are used to seeing. It's really had quite a devastating effect on my life. I used to fly for the Air Force, a life long dream of mine, and because of this I have had to give it up. I have been through serious bouts of depression and hopelessness through all of this and would give anything to be free of this pain. I have great medical coverage because of the military but have yet to find anyone that is willing to go the distance to help me or send me in the right direct to get the help I need. Any suggestions or avenues to pursue would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Hopeless in Oklahoma
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:29 pm

User avatar There are some chronic nerve pain conditions that can continue to cause pain after a nerve has become inflamed. If the lyrica is not helping you may want to consider trying a different medication for nerve pain. Sometimes a slightly different medicine can help significantly.

Seeing a pain specialist may also be helpful for you.

|