News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Is this a fungal/bacterial infection? (pics included)

TDM - Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:10 pm

The following are two shots of the sole of my left foot. That's what the infection looks like after I burst the tiny bubbles full of liquid. Does it look like a fungal/bacterial infection?

By the way, this is a recurrent problem: my left foot heals, and the infection comes back a few weeks or months later. As far as I know, I have never had this problem in my right foot.

Image[/img]
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:52 am

User avatar I can't say for sure what this is but since it is recurrent, you should definitely see a doctor when it is active. They may need to take a sample for testing in order to give an accurate diagnosis.

You don't say whether or not you have tried antifungal agents to see if it responds to this treatment. That might give you a clue.

Also, you don't mention if you have itching or whether or not you have other medical conditions and concerns. Are you diabetic? You say it heals, but does it heal quickly? Do you get infection, oozing pus, etc?
 TDM - Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 am

Hello, I saw my primary care physician last week regarding this problem, but he said he didn't think it was a fungal or bacterial infection. Granted though, the infection was just beginning (like 3 or 4 bubbles) and it wasn't as developed as it is in the pictures shown above. He said the liquid inside the bubbles was sweat and suggested I visited a dermatologist if I felt unsatisfied with his answer.

I haven't tried any antifungal agents yet. Normally, I just treat this problem with rubbing alcohol and iodine. The infection eventually heals but then at some point it comes back.

I have itching associated with this infection. My left foot also hurts when I walk and I've been limping lately.

As far as I know, I am not a diabetic. I had a blood test done less than two months ago and as far as blood tests can tell, I am healthy. (I'm a 25 yo male.)

I'm not sure exactly how long it takes the infection to heal. I went to see my doctor 10 days ago regarding this problem and those pictures were taken last night. I'd say it takes anywhere between 1 and 3 weeks for the infection to heal.

I haven't noticed any oozing pus coming from this infection, just liquid from the bubbles, which sometimes gets mixed up with very small amounts of blood.

I hope that gives you a better idea of what my problem could be. Please let me know what you think.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:07 pm

User avatar Thank you for your added information. I agree with your doctor that it doesn't seem like a classic fungus or bacteria but I think you could try an antifungal agent available over the counter because it probably won't hurt. If it doesn't clear up within a few days of use, definitely see a dermatologist for a more accurate assessment.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here