News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Potential cases of botulism

Destry - Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:37 am

My family had just consumes a can of chilli dog sauce on hot dogs and 15 minutes later seen an alert on the news anout a recall on the same product we had for dinner. checked the recall info and yes the can was one in the recall. we called the product provider and they offered to refund the product after verifying it was in the recall. i am worried about my family getting sick. my youngest daughter is 20 months old and she had some too. we were told it will take 12 to 24 hrs for the symptems to happen.

what would you suggest? should my family go to a hospital now? just in case?

oh, my wife and i have already taken 1000 mg of pennicilin each as a precaution.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:49 am

User avatar Hello Destry,

My best advise to you is to watch everyone very closely. If anyone begins developing signs of a stomach flu type illness and/or muscle weakness they should be evaluated immediately. The muscle weakness often will present first in the face and move downward. More specifically, things to watch for include nausea and vomiting, double vision, trouble speaking or a dry mouth.

If everyone is still well there is likely no need to go to the doctor now. Symptoms generally will present 12-36 hours after ingestion of the toxin.

I am not aware that taking antibiotics after exposure will prevent the development of disease.

As a note of reassurance, often time when a recall such as this occurs most if not all the recaled items actually turn out to be OK. They are being removed as a precaution as it cannot be guaranteed that they are safe.

Best wishes and, again, if anyone develops any symptoms that are concerning they should be seen right away.
 Destry - Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:09 pm

well, it has been 22 hours to this moment and we seem to be doing ok so far. thanks for the reply.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here