News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: syphilis screening test

toycar - Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:48 am

hi! i'm a registered medical technologist from the philippines. i would just like to ask if it is possible that RPR and VDRL gives different results. a patient in an industrial clinic tested for RPR and the result is reactive at 1:2 dilution, the same patient tested at a known hospital here and the VDRL result is non-reactive. how is it possible that the 2 screening tests yielded different results wherein RPR is just a modified procedure of VDRL? i've read books but to no avail haven't found the answer, even in school they haven't taught us about this. i hope you could help me about this since it really bothers me a lot. thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:35 pm

User avatar Hi Toycar,

The VDRL and RPR both test for antibodies, although not exactly the same ones. The RPR titer of 1:2 is not indicative of a high amount of antibodies in the blood.

So, there are a few possible reasons he may have had a + RPR and negative VDRL. It may be that he is not making the VDRL antibody or it is too low to detect. The latter is definitely possible with an RPR titer of 1:2.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here