Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: similar but different? - red rash on my penis

southpaw - Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:49 am

I am a 38 yr old male who about 10 days ago discovered a red rash on my penis I am circumcised. It's on the top side just below the head. I got out of the shower one day and while drying off, I noticed the skin in the same area peeling off like wet skin does after a sunburn. It didn’t itch or burn but was red. I have no discharge and no pain while urinating. A few other factors that may have contributed to the rash (if we're being honest) - I had unprotected sex with my wife four days before the rash was discovered and I hadn't bathed since then (I know, I know), I've gained some weight due to being off my feet after a surgery and my underwear are fitting a bit tighter, and I trim my pubic hair. It’s been pretty hot here lately so the area gets sweaty naturally. Now I considered all of those in thinking my rash was possibly jock itch, or an irritation from the stubble although I hadn't had that problem before. After my shower, my wife and I had unprotected sex despite our discovery of the rash. That seemed to only increase the redness and brought on a feeling like it was rubbed raw. We let a few days pass by to let things dry out and the appearance of the rash became very diminished. It wasn’t red and was more normal in color, but the skin texture appeared like it was a burn that had been healing. Kind of smooth and wrinkly at the same time. Just in the last day or so, my wife didn’t want to take any further chances with what she thinks is more serious. She decided to manually bring me to completion rather than have sex. The result of that caused the rash to surface and again to feel like it was rubbed raw. I then showered and treated it with Neosporin for the dryness. This morning it was again back to near normal skin tone. Still no burning or pain. I now have a slight itch but not scratch worthy.

Now for my wife’s side of the story. She is an overweight woman who completely shaves her pubic area. She sometimes has a strong smell about her that I notice before, during, and after having sex and even sometimes when sex isn’t involved. I don’t know if it is just my keen sense of smell from being her intimate partner or her personal grooming behavior or what. However, she has said that she feels some irritation when we have sex but otherwise seems ok. She has no discharge or noticeable rash from the outside and no pain while urinating. Although the irritation is only recent, the smell has been around for quite some time. We’ve chalked it up to her body chemistry.

Now my suspicion is that from other postings here is that it’s a yeast infection. But I can’t tell if the other posters had any of these same factors or not. And since I am not a doctor, I am asking you for advice. Help?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:43 am

User avatar It is certainly possible that you could have a yeast infection that the two of you are sharing. I would advise you to have it checked out and if you have it, both of you should be treated to prevent continual transmission between each other.

This can be treated effectively with something like Lotrimin, but it is important to follow directions for use.

|