News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Single itchy red bump

DiscFive - Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:38 am

I am 22 and have never had any previous diagnoses with STDs. Not currently on any medications.

I recently discovered a single itchy (raised?) red bump on my penis. It feels and looks like a bug bite (or perhaps a mite bite) but I did recently have unprotected sex with 1 person, about a week ago.

The itch fairly intense but I can avoid scratching it.

There is no pain at all involved with the bump.

Could this be some sort of STD?

or just a bug bite?

Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:59 pm

User avatar It is possible it could be associated with an STD so you should have it checked out unless it clears on its own. But, it is equally likely this is benign and will resolve untreated. You should be able to wait it out a bit but with a sore in that location, it would be wise to use discretion about sexual relations.

Good luck.
 chancers101 - Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 am

My boyfriend has a similar bump.
In a week the bump got firmer though and the area around it is red (I'm guessing from his relentless itching). we haven't had sex in a few weeks and both of us are clean.

Nothing is oozing from it and its extremely painful to the touch he says. Possibly from the scratching making it raw.

Could this be a bug bite?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 am

User avatar Hello,While it is quite possible that he has only a furuncle, post bite yet may need investigations to rule out an STD since a couple of conditions could be look alikes.Of course if you both have been having a monogamous relationship,this may not be the case.Scabies sometimes could present as a papule with much itching.Do consult your doctor.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here