News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Candida in an immune compromised patient

yoni66 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Dear Doctor,
I am a forty year old male. I am diagnosed with CVID; I have extremely little antibody production and am prone to numerous hard to fight infections. I receive monthly IVIG infusions.
I have today had a positive culture in my mouth of Candida Abicans. In addition, I have been sweating profusely and been feverish for about a week, been extremely fatigued and have had major gastrointestinal issues. My immunologist is on vacation and my primary care physician wants to treat the candida as if it's limited to my mouth. Based on the symptoms and what I have read on the web, it sounds as if it is a systemic infection and could be dangerous. Any opinion?
Thanks!
 yoni66 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:35 pm

Sorry, it's me again.
I just wanted to add that I have had severe headaches and neck pain during this period as well.
I also had a root canal about two weeks ago with prophylactic antibiotic due to my CVID. Could this dental surgery have given the fungus from my mouth a convenient pathway into the rest of my system?
Thanks!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here