Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Several bumps on my groin area

bjwwonders - Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi doctor,

I just wanted to get your opinion on something:

I have not had sex in several months... I've been so busy with work I have not had time to have any time of relationship that would warrant such actions. However I've found several bumps on my groin area, which I will do my best to explain. They seem to be fleshy colored, much like a pimple. They are about the size of a dull pencil's led for the most part. These bumps do not itch, burn, or cause any discomfort. They seem to be non-symmetrical and are not enflamed, red, or swollen. They are dry, not weepy... I have one on the right hand side of my penil shaft that grew to be large in the course of a night and I popped it the next morning to have a pimple like discharge come out of it.

These pimples have been on this area for about a month and haven't really bothered me, or given me any type of trouble other than being there. They are not in a cluster per say... There are several of them, not in one particular place. However virtually none of them are on the shaft of my penis, only the area surrounding it.

I have sat down and done some research and am not really sure what to make of it. I have been going through intense physical training that causes me to neglect my physical hygiene more than I'd like. This may mean I'm out doors for days at a time with no shower. It seems like it could be likely that this is a bacterial infection, but since these spots are raised I figured that might be a bit unlikely? I would like your professional medical opinion on what this is likely to be?

Some of these are quite raised indeed (two of them almost look deformed *raised out like a patch of skin forming a non-symmetrical cylinder type of bump.

Thank you for your time,
BJWwonders
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:18 pm

User avatar Hi BJWwonders,

You may be experiencing some clogged pores or inflamed hair follicles. It may also be the lumps associated with a virus called Molluscum Contagiosum.

If they are not improving soon I would recommend you have them evaluated by your doctor.

bjwwonders - Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Thank you for your response doctor. Is herpes a viable posibility at this point? I have read many of your prior post in order to help give me some idea as to what I may be dealing with and I must say that it seems as if "warts" are more of a possibility than herpes with the symptoms I have and then with the long term breakout I would potentially being experiencing if it were herpes.

These bumps don't seem to have the central dimple on the head as I've read is characteristic of molluscum (sorry if this is an incorrect spelling). The shapes are non-symmetrical as I stated before and a couple of them seem to have more of a califlour shape to them as I have seen you describe in prior instances. However others are fairly round looking with a white head, and from their appearance doesn't seem to be water filled.. What would you make of this? As far as I know I've not been exposed to genital warts and I've been pretty selective in my partners (I'm only 22, so I haven't had many).

I'm just a bit confused about all this, I suppose rightfully so. With my job going to the doctor is very difficult (working as a public servant). Due to the times I work and the wages that I'm (not) making. lol Again, I appreciate your help in this matter.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 am

User avatar The cauliflower description is actually very consistent with warts from the human papilloma virus.

Herpes can cause bumps but they are almost always more of a blister initially.

If it is HPV warts they can be treated although this does not cause the virus to go away. Future warts may appear.

bjwwonders - Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks again doctor... This is week five with these bumps not turning into ulcers or anything. No itching, burning, pain, or anything associated with them. What do you think of this relative to herpes? I look forward to training ending so I can get to a doctor, right now your my connection to the outside world. It's been months since any sexual contact... I'm just a bit worried as you might could tell.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 am

User avatar With this timing, it is very unlikely to be herpes. By this point, I would expect HSV lesions to have blistered and scabbed over.

Best wishes. I'm glad we can be of some help although I can't tell you for sure what is going on.

|