Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Risks of herpes transmission from oral sex

miserable-life - Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:54 am

Hello Doctor, can you pls help me with the questions below. I am very worried about this.

Q. I am taking 800mg Acyclovir per day for 12days now to induce suppressive therapy. 2x200mg every 12hrs. I still get a continued tingling in my lip.
Is the amount correct for suppression. ?

Q. When I get tingling in my lip is the virus shedding and should I avoid oral sex at this time. ?

Q. What is your opinion on the comment below : ?
"If you do nothing but avoid sex during obvious lesions - your partner is ~ 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. If you take daily suppressive therapy his risk is cut in half. If you throw condoms in along with everything else - he's about 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. Statistically there's not any different between a 1% risk with condoms and a 2% risk without them."

Q. If I receive anal sex , unprotected but into suppressive therapy 2 weeks with no ob, is the chance of transmission to him about 4%. ? And if he receives oral from me what percentage are chances of my transmission to him, ( I have had one cold sore 10yrs ago) last brief ob on my penis was two weeks ago. ?

Thank you.
miserable life.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:06 am

User avatar Hi Miserable-life,

I am not particularly familiar with the exact percentage chances of transmission of HSV so I am not able to comment regarding the quote on percentages.

As you've suggested, the risk of transmission is much higher if you have active sores.

Suppressive therapy helps but does not completely eliminate the risk of transmission. The virus can be shed even when no sores are present.

I would always recommend using condoms. Even though there is no statistical difference between 1 and 2%, if the virus is passed on the odds don't matter in the end. Condoms have clearly been shown to reduce the risk of transmission.

Sorry I can't give you more specifics. I hope this helps some.

miserable-life - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:39 am

Thank you Dr Chan ,
I appreciate your help and hard work.
Just to ask you, I am considering Oxidization theropy through taking H202 daily.
Are you familar with this theropy and any thoughts on taking Hydrogen Peroxide to kill the virus. ?

regards.
thanks again..

|