News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Fluctuating Temperature, normal white cell counts

WilliamAZ - Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:47 pm

As my wife does not use the computer much, I am sending this question for her. She has no adverse medical history other than perhaps mononucleosis when she was in her teens. She is currently 55.

She has had a fluctuating temperature 97-104+ for over two weeks now. She has no pain, however is extremely fatigued. She wakes up drenched with sweat.

The Doctor said he was concerned about something he heard when he listened to her breathing. She does seem to have a tight feeling in her upper/center chest.

Tests have indicated normal white cell counts and no sign of infection. Liver function is somewhat high ( 250), however may be caused by the Tylenol, Ibuprofen and antibiotics she is taking.

She has had no change in these conditions. Additional blood tests have been ordered. We live in Arizona where Valley Fever can be a problem also. Test for it was negative. While awaiting the next Doctor visit in a couple days, I thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts on this condition. Thank you in advance for your input.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:58 pm

User avatar Hi WilliamAZ,

I, too, live in Arizona and am quite familiar with Valley Fever. Her symptoms do sound quite consistent with this.

If her first tests were negative for valley fever but there continues to be suspicion of valley fever the tests should be repeated in 6-8 weeks. The tests for valley fever are blood tests that look for antibodies against the cocci fungus responsible. It can take several weeks for these antibodies to form during an acute infection.

Typically valley fever does not require treatment as it often will resolve without incident. If the infection is severe there are antifungal medications that can help.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here