Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Fever, headache, joint pain, rash, muscle aches, cough.

marybuff - Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:26 am

I am 30yrs old..I have been sick for 11 days now, with fever, headache, muscle aches, joint pain, slight cough, itchy skin, and rash on my ankles. I went to the dr twice and was told nothing other than that I have a virus and there is nothing they can do. they basically told me to take tylanol and motrin for pain and fever, but 11 days?? that can't be good. they informed me that it might be viral menengitis, but didn't wanna put me through the tests. What should I do, should I just go back to the dr, or be at the hospital. could this be more serious???
 marybuff - Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:40 am

Well Finally, I went to the er last sunday with a fever over 105. They ran alot of tests on me and found out finally after 2 weeks of being sick that I have lymes disease. I am starting to feel alot better now, but the antibiotic they put me on is aweful. I can't eat anything and I burn almost immediatly when in the sun. I have read alot about it and its normal side effects so i guess, but I am so happy about starting to finally feel better.!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:24 pm

User avatar Hello marybuff,

I am so happy that you are feeling better. Thank you very much for posting your update. I am sure this will benefit our viewers.

Lyme disease is caused by infection from a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. This can happen while camping.

There are generally three stages of Lyme's disease. Milder forms of the disease would manifest with a target rash, neurological abnormalities such as Bell's palsy or a more severe type which affects the brain.

Minor disease is usually treated with doxycycline while the more severe form would require hospitalization and is treated with ceftriaxone.

This disease is usually suspected when a patient presents with headache, fever as well as stiff neck (meningitis). The appearance of rash as well as joint pains in your case would make Lyme disease a possibility. That said, its not an easy disease to diagnose.

Diagnosis is done by serology (IgM and IgG).

Good luck and wishing you a quick recovery.

|