Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV & Molluscum Contagiosum

xd - Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:18 pm

What is the link, if there is any between these two conditions? I believe I had a girlfriend in the past who had HPV, yet a long time passed and nothing happened to me.

Lately I have been fighting Molluscum Contagiosum and think I'll have it conquered soon. However, how about this HPV thing? How would I know if I had that? Is only a blood test for it the surest way to make sure I don't have it?

Thank you,

XD
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:52 pm

User avatar Hi XD,

The only link between HPV and molluscum is that the two viruses are both sexually transmittable.

Women can be tested for HPV when they have abnormal changes on their pap smears to see if the changes are due to HPV and what strain of HPV it is. Men can be tested but it is rarely done at this point. HPV can cause genital warts in men and women. It can also cause cervical cancer in women. In men, the link to penile cancer is less certain.

If you would like to be tested you can talk with your doctor to see if testing of men is available in your area.

xd - Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:16 pm

So... the question then becomes, how would a person know if the bumps came from HPV or MC?

Am I correct in assuming HPV is for life (in men & women) while MC is only a skin condition that can be cleared up?

It is a little frustrating because most of the HPV information concerns its effects on women and not men. It's fine and dandy HPV doesn't cause any much harm in men since I'm a guy, but spreading it to other women doesn't sound like a very nice thing to do, which is the cause for concern.

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 pm

User avatar You are correct, Xd, that most information HPV is directed at women.

HPV can cause genital warts. These look like warts that one would get on other parts of the body.

Molluscum causes small lumps that typically have a central dimple in them.

HPV is a lifelong infection. Molluscum typically will resolve but it may take several months or even over a year before new lumps stop forming.

If you have lumps that you are not sure what they are your doctor should be able to answer this pretty easily by examining your skin.

xd - Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:06 am

That makes sense, well I'm happy to have had your answers on this topic. I first learned about these forums when doing a search on MC in Google, so hopefully this information will be saved on the Internet and be here in case someone else needs help with it.

Thanks for your help and have a wonderful day.

Thank you

|