News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: hiv test

gordan1x2 - Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:14 am

i got the result of hiv test and on the test write antihiv-negative , what that means???that i don't have hiv??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:35 pm

User avatar Hi Gordan1x2,

There are a few different types of HIV tests available. Some test directly for the HIV DNA (actually testing for the presence of the virus itself) while other tests look for the antibodies that the body makes against the virus. This antibody method uses an indirect method of testing for the virus rather than testing for the virus itself.

Based on your report results "anti-HIV" negative you had a test that looks for the antibodies. These are referred to as "anti" meaning directed against HIV. So "anti-HIV negative" means the test did not detect the HIV antibodies. This either means that you do not have HIV for the body to react to (i.e. you do not have HIV) or that the body has not had enough time to begin making antibodies to the HIV.

Generally by 6 months after exposure the antibody tests are reliable but can become positive much sooner than that. If it has only been a few weeks since your possible exposure I would recommend you have a repeat HIV test done in the next few months just to confirm the negative status. If it has been over six months you should be safe in saying this is truly negative.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here