Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Vaccine for gonorrhea

7769pt - Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:56 am

So i have recently had a ghonorrea scare and was diagnosed positive. I received the vaccine for it and feel so much better! Where I got curious is when the nurse had told me that I wasn't allowed to have sex for a 7 days. Why is the reasoning behind that and what happens if I do have sex?
26, male
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar Hi 7769pt,

First, we should clarify that what you received is NOT a vaccine for gonorrhea but is treatment for possible infection. Vaccines prevent future infection. The treatment you received will not prevent future infections but will treat the current infection.

The reason to wait seven days is that after treatment it can take up to seven days for all the bacteria to be killed. Until this point, you may still be infectious.

Unfortunately, there is not a vaccine for gonorrhea at this point although there may be one at some point in the future.

|