News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Vaccine for gonorrhea

7769pt - Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:56 am

So i have recently had a ghonorrea scare and was diagnosed positive. I received the vaccine for it and feel so much better! Where I got curious is when the nurse had told me that I wasn't allowed to have sex for a 7 days. Why is the reasoning behind that and what happens if I do have sex?
26, male
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar Hi 7769pt,

First, we should clarify that what you received is NOT a vaccine for gonorrhea but is treatment for possible infection. Vaccines prevent future infection. The treatment you received will not prevent future infections but will treat the current infection.

The reason to wait seven days is that after treatment it can take up to seven days for all the bacteria to be killed. Until this point, you may still be infectious.

Unfortunately, there is not a vaccine for gonorrhea at this point although there may be one at some point in the future.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here