Forum Name: AIDS

Question: hiv from tattoo?

Smartpatrol9 - Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:00 am

I kind of already asked this but never really got a good satisfying answer. Since then, I've done more research, and from what I've found, it's unlikely, more like, impossible for me to have gotten HIV.

Anyways, about 2 months ago I got an unprofessional tattoo done. 3 weeks before I had my tattoo done a girl with HIV had the inside of her lip tattooed (meaning that saliva was touching it, and from the research i did, most credible sources said that saliva inactivates 90% of all hiv). Now, the guy who did mine, while unprofessional, DID seem to know about cleaning procedures. I saw him open a brand new needle right before my eyes, but someone told me that if they don't clean the ink tube (the needle sits in this ink tube), you could get hiv because the needle can suck trace amounts of blood in.

ok, so lets say that even though he DID use a new needle, lets say he hadn't cleaned the ink tube in the 3 weeks that passed after the HIV girl got her tattoo. (oh by the way, he gives at least one tattoo every day, so ink would be constantly in and out of the ink tube). Wouldn't the blood dry inside the tube and become inactive? If you're unfamiliar with the tattooing process, an ink tube looks like the tip of your pen (not the part where the ink comes out, but the plastic cap that goes around it, you can usually unscrew it). So the ink tube is NOT air tight.

My question is, even if there WERE trace amounts of blood wouldn't they have:
1. Dried over night?
2. Wouldn't the ink have killed the HIV?
3. Since it was in her mouth wouldn't the saliva have deactivated some of the HIV?
4. Could HIV some how get all the way from the ink tube, down to the tip of the needle and then in to my skin? (seems unlikely).

Then, i looked on the CDCs website, and they said that there's NEVER been a reported case on HIV from a tattoo. I highly doubt I'd be the first then.

I'm just wondering though because I cannot get it out of my head, it's driving me crazy, do I have anything to worry about? I REALLY don't want to get tested if there's no reason.

Ps: Supposedly he DOES clean the ink tube. I just can't verify it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:03 pm

User avatar Hi Smartpatrol9,

It seems incredibly unlikely for you to be able to contract HIV in this manner. The virus is not particularly strong. This is why it is not transmitted through simple contact, etc.

It is highly doubtful that HIV could survive 3 weeks outside the body.

If you are concerned you can be tested to be sure, though.

Smartpatrol9 - Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:02 am

ok, so does that mean I should worry or no? I mean, I'll probably get tested regardless, but I mean, I shouldn't be worried about the results right?

and also, I read that things like sun light and water can kill hiv, so I'm assuming that the tattoo ink would too?

sorry for all the questions, I'm just really paranoid

thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:49 pm

User avatar I don't think you have anything to worry about. Being tested will ease your mind and is still a good idea.

Water and light do tend to kill the virus. I would not expect the virus to be able to survive for weeks in ink.

Smartpatrol9 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:52 pm

thanks so much

|