Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: glandular fever

bubbles431 - Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:22 am

hi! i am an 18 year old female who about five weeks ago was diagnosed with glandular fever. although the majority of my more obvious symptoms have gone, i am still feeling incredibly fatigued. i know that rest is the best (and perhaps only) treatment for this virus, but i have my end of school exams approaching in six weeks and need to be able to study. i am getting 10 hours of sleep a night and am taking vitamin c tablets. is there anything else i can do to improve my condition/concentration level?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:29 am

User avatar Getting lots of rest is the best thing you can do. Avoid contact sports, since the spleen is enlarged and you don't want to damage it. There is not much more you can co since this is caused by a virus (Epstein Barr). Sometimes people develop a strep infection along with it and that needs antibiotics. Antivirals have not been shown to be effective. It likely will take weeks for you to feel better so pace yourself to use your time wisely, putting priority on your studying and rest.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

|