Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV? Abnormal PAP -Could I infect my girlfriend in 4 months?

stu - Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:47 am

I am 37 yrs old and have not had sex for over 10 yrs prior to a current relationship that started 4 months ago. I have had a total of 5 girlfriends with whom I had sex in the past.
My new girlfriend has recently been diagnosed with HPV via an abnormal Pap smear. I do not and have not had any symptoms in the past. Is it possible that I may have unknowingly infected her and that changes to her cervix occurred within the 4 month period?
Her history consists of one other partner (with a history of many past partners) with whom she had not had sex within the past prior year.
Thanks,
Stu
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:11 pm

User avatar HPV is a virus that has about 100 strains, of which 30 or so are sexually transmitted. The incubation period (time between exposure and acquisition of disease) varies from weeks to years. Because of this huge variability, it is impossible to say where it might have been acquired. This time frame works for you (average 3 months), as well as for previous partners she has had so the fact that she has not had sex with any of them in the past year does not mean they can be ruled out as potential infectious partners. A person can also be contagious without having symptoms.

She should continue to get regular examinations to monitor cervical changes. Some strains can lead to cancer so it is important to stay in contact with the doctor.

|