News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Am worried...should I be tested?

jimrearden2002 - Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:37 pm

I was wondering if you can help me....

I am a male....

I was seeing this girl for about a month or so...we never had sex...but there was a couple of times we had unprotected oral sex (from her to me and me to her) and during those couple of times niether of us ever came. I did finger her on a few occasions as well...and it should be known that I am a habitual nail and "skin around the nail" biter...so sometimes there are little cuts and pieces of skin missing around my fingernails. I'm almost positive i wasnt actually bleeding when I did this. Anyways...I found out later that she had herpes.
11 weeks later...I developed a fever that lasted 10 days...with shaking chills for the first 3....and some phlegm towards the end. I went to the doctor...had a chest X-ray and was diagnosed with pneumonia...got antibiotics and it cleared up.
6 months later...I have alot of phlegm I'm continually hacking up from my lungs. My doctor put me on avelox and there was no help from it. I went back...had a CBC...it was normal...and another chest X-ray...which came back negative for Pneumonia. I am taking decongestants and a ADVAIR inhaler...and it seems to be helping significantly.

I am 27...and was smoking marijuana regularly for about 5-6 yrs...and at times...almost ever day. I quit after getting over the pneumonia...and have been clean for 6 months.

I was wondering was my "risky" behavior with that girl is worrisome for HIV...or are these aliments in response to the marijuana?

Thankyou for taking the time to help me out

Jim.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:01 pm

User avatar Dear Jim,

These ailments might be due marijuana.

If at any time, you think you should be tested for hiv, i would recommend that you be tested, as worry is going to consume you unless you know for sure. If a person has an std (like herpes), there is a higher chance that he/she has others. Get tested and get it over with.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here