News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fever of unknown origin

autismadvocate - Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm a 46 year old Caucasian female. 5'1"and weigh 130#. Ihad a CBC,basal metabolic panel,urinalysis & liver & lipid profile done June 2007-all were WNL except a WBCof 11.8 (ref.range 4.1-10.9) & neutrophils 8.6(ref.range2.0-6.9). ARNP-C said nothing to worry about. Around July 19th I began feeling fatigued easily,joint pain, L lower back,hip and leg pain, running a low grade temp of 99.0-100.7. Isaw ARNP-C who dx:sinusitis and sciatica. I took a 10 day course of Avelox and a muscle relaxant. I returned to the ARNP-C on Aug. 8th as I continued to run the fever, fatigue worsened,pain in L lower back,hip and leg continued, nausea. I was placed on Phenergan and Cipro 500mg twice a day and Clindamycin 300mg twice a day for 2 weeks. At that time we repeated a CBC and urinalysis. Urine was WNL. WBC 13.3(ref. range 4.1-10.9) and neutrophils of 10.3 (ref rang 2.0-6.9).I returned to the ARNP-C who had me see the MD on Aug. 21st as the fever continued, as did the sciatic pain and now I'm having intermittent nausea, vomiting & diarrhea,dizziness,lightheaded,almost fainted 3 times,no appetite.My MD suspects sepsis with ? endocarditis and is trying to locate origin of infection. On Aug.23 I had the following test: CT of the Abdomen & Pelvis which showed a uterine mass ,most compatible with fibroid & a left hepatic lobe cyst,otherwise unremarkable exam. CXR-no evidence of acute cardiopulmonary process.MRI of lumbar spine-Impression: mild focal left paracentral disc protrusion at L4-L5.Otherwise,unremarkable exam. Echo-Pending final results although technician has 25+ years experience said looked WNL. MD was looking for endocarditis. Limited CT paranasal sinuses w/o contrast.Impression:1. The orientation of the presented images is questioned.This should not be considered a final interpretation until this can be confirmed with respect to nasal fossa findings 2. The paranasal sinuses are all clear.3. In the presented images,the nasal septum is severely deviated to the right & there is prominent hypertrophy of left inferior nasal turbinate mucosa. I've had extensive dental work, all but 6 teeth have either caps,crowns or bridges thus making scan very difficult. Mono spot test,liver panel,MRSA culture of nares, strep & ESR and C-reactive protein- all WNL.Blood cultures neg,but where done w/o chills. I returned to the MD on Sept.4th-he still suspects sepsis and feels blood cultures were inconclusive due to not having chills when drawn.We drew another CBC & a repeat urinalysis & is still looking for site of origin of infection-I don't have results yet. I took a stool sample in for C-diff,toxins & leukocyte count today. I'm scheduled for a HIDA scan on 9/12 and a U/S of gallbladder on 9/21 as I'm now having abdominal tenderness and all other symptoms continue. It's been 8 wks and 3 antibiotics which MD feels should have cleared most bacteria. Saw GYN on 8/30 who feels fibroid is benign. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm a Home Health RN and u/a to work until a confirmed dx is established and the dizziness, faint feeling and lightheadedness goes away, as I can't drive. I also have an autistic teenager and don't have time to be sick.I return to the MD on 9/11 for a F/U,as he is very concerned that we can't find the site of origin. I have a history of environmental allergies.

Past surgeries include L oopherectomy,T&A,tubal ligation,apecoectomy (dental procedure).

Family hx: CAD,arthritis both osteo and rheumatoid,osteoporosis,COPD

Current meds: Vicodin,zanaflex,xanax prn,singulair,zyrtec,Glucosamine,chondrotin,MSM,ASA,Calcium,Multivitamin,Vit C, Garlic, Lysine.

Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
    I would like to apologize that we did not answer your post earlier. I think it is because it appears you are in good hands and there is nothing we can do any better than what an actual physician can better manage with seeing you directly.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble and not getting well. Hopefully you have had some improvement in this recent history. Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
    Doctors Lounge.
    All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
    Diseases | Symptoms
    Drugs | Labs | Procedures
    Software | Tutorials

Advertising
    Links | Humor
    Forum Archive
    CME Articles

Privacy Statement
    Terms & Conditions
    Editorial Board
    About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
    Verify here