Forum Name: Other infections

Question: abdominal pain in the right side, which led to me fainting

Christo - Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:15 am

Hi. I am a 23 year old male. I had numerous visits to the doctor and there are still no indication of what is wrong with me. It started with me waking up with a sharp abdominal pain in the right side, which led to me fainting. I went to the hospital immediately where blood tests were done. The outcome of the tests showed that I have a high white cell count. They thought it was my appendix. I spent the next night in hospital and they sent me home, after a specialist confirmed that my appendix was fine. Symptoms after that included dizzyness, lumbness of my legs, the abdominal pains spread to the right side as well (They are now only occassional but sharp)and chest pains (left side). The symptoms at present is Continuous headache and stiffness of the neck, and dizzyness occuring after excersising. I also have a weird sensation just before I fall asleep (almost as if I am fainting). As far as family history goes - High blood pressure and diabetes. Can you please help as I am quite worried. Thanking you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:07 am

User avatar Hi Christo,

This is a bit puzzling. I'm having trouble coming up with something to tie all your symptoms together.

The abdominal pain and leg numbness may be due to a problem with the spinal nerves (such as a compression in the spine from a fracture or other process). This would be less likely to cause a headache and neck pain though.

The abdominal pain and chest pain/fainting could be something like a kidney stone.

When a doctor hears headache and stiff neck the immediate thought is meningitis (infection of the covering of the brain). This really doesn't fit your symptoms well either.

Perhaps this is an infection from something such as valley fever or histoplasmosis that can cause symptoms in multiple organ areas. Another unlikely possibility would be a neurological condition such as multiple sclerosis.

Follow up with your doctor is important. It may also be of some benefit to you to see a neurologist.

Best wishes. I hope you are able to find an answer soon. Keep us updated if you don't mind.
 Christo - Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:17 am

Thank you for the reply doc. I went to see a neurologist, and they sent me for a CT scan, which didn't reveal anything. They then sent me for an MRI and everything was normal. The abdominal pains have subsided and the dizzyness is now only occassional. The only thing that is still bothering is that I am always aware of my heartbeat when lying down. My heart rate goes up heavily when I am out for a drink, which means I smoke more. Could this perhaps have anything to do with smoking, as I started to feel better after changing to a cigarette brand with less nicotene and tar?

Thanks again.

|