Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HSV1

gal - Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:37 am

I am 31yo female, no past diagnoses/surgeries. No related family history or medications.
I had a tiny lesion on my lower part of the labia. Two days later, the right groin lymph node enlarged. I never had anything like this before. My boyfriend said he doesn't have STD and we have been together for about one year. I did have an ex-boyfriend who might have passed me the disease which I don't know, but it was over a year ago. I also had cold sores in my mouth when I was a teenager and last time I had it was a few years ago.
My question is, if I go for a blood test for HSV1 and 2. I will test positive for the 1 since cold sore is 1. Am I right? Does that mean I have herpes/STD? Many people have cold sores and they have no blood test done. If someone has cold sore does that mean he/she is herpes carrier? How do you distinguish this? Does the symptoms that I have suggests that I might have the HSV2 as well?
Thank you for your time and help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:54 pm

User avatar Hi Gal,

There are many glands that line the entrance to the vagina. Your symptoms may be due to herpes lesions or they may be due to some of these glands becoming clogged and subsequently infected.

Regarding the HSV1/2 issue, most often HSV1 causes cold sores and HSV2 causes genital lesions. However, either type of the virus can cause sores in either location. It is possible for the cold sore virus (presumably HSV1) to subsequently be transferred to the genitals and cause lesions.

I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation. Herpes lesions can often be easily distinguished from other sores by visual examination.

gal - Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 am

Dear Dr. Lowe,
Thank you very much for answering my questions. I had seen my PA because my MD wasn't available. He couldn't tell what my lesion was. And my lesion had gone now. It lasted for 11 days total. I had only one very small lesion. It was painful to touch and when I showered the area. Othertimes, it didn't bother me at all. No problems with long run for almost 4 hours/ 20miles on day 2 the lesion occured or biking 25 miles on day 9. I had no fever. I wasn't completely sure if it is herpes lesion even I had seen some herpes pictures on the internet. After consult with a MD, my PA asked me to have blood test for HIV, RPR, HSV1 and 2 in a couple weeks. I had the first two tested negative in the past, so I am not concern of those. My concern regarding HSV1 is, I almost certain that I will test positive for the HSV1 as I was growing up with cold sores before I sexually active. I afraid to have blood test done now and confirm that I have HSV1 and my PA dx me with STD/ genital herpes. Then it will be in my medical record and I am subject to tell my future partner (broke up with my boyfriend recently) about my STD instead of cold sore in my mouth in the past? The lesion could be caused by herpes, but if the lesion wasn't caused by herpes, I just don't think it is fair to me to have this genital herpes dx. People have cold sores in the past don't have to follow all the precautions as people dx with STD when they have a stable partner/ get married. Am I right? What should I do? Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much for your valuable time.
Gal

|