News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlamydia, That won't go away. HELP

tlw0198 - Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Okay so..I'm a 20 year old female and 3 weeks ago i was diagnosed and treated by a local free health clinic for chlamydia. My partner, whom i infected, could not get treated until my results came back 2 weeks later. We had protected sex inbetween those times. Because I misunderstood my nurse (a little bit of ignorance and sexual tension, perhaps), i had unprotected oral sex with my infected partner. So i re-exposed myself and contracted Chlamydia again. I went back to the free clinic and got treated again with a Z-pac (Zithromax). Since then my partner has been treated and is symptom-free. Also we haven't had sex since either one of us has been treated last. BUT its been a little over a week now, and my symptoms have been getting steadily worse. These include; vaginal itching, discharge, and odor, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, and a recent occurence of what looks and feels like pink-eye. I don't know why the last treatment of the z-pack did not work... and would like some answers. Please, if anyone can help me sort through this... i would appreciate it entirely!
Thanks in advance.
[/list]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:14 pm

User avatar Hi Tlw0198,

There are a few possibilities for this. One is that you are continuing to reinfect yourself. It does not sound like this has occurred this previous time.

My other thought is that I would recommend you be tested for all STD's. STD's often present with multiple infections at the same time. The azithromycin will only treat chlamydia. If you have another infection, such as gonorrhea, it may continue to cause symptoms.

Also, I am not familiar with the resistance patterns for where you may be located. Almost always, chlamydia is susceptible to azithromycin but it may be worth asking if there is resistance.

Seeing a gynecologist will be helpful.

Best wishes.
 tlw0198 - Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:21 pm

i was also screened for gonorrhea and it tested negative. so that isn't a possibility.. and yes i did reinfect myself the once.. but it is impossible this second time.. i guess i'm wondering if its possible that i was sort of "immune" to the second dose of zithromax since it is an antibiotic.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here