News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: parasite?

Yodoteniaga - Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 am

I'm a 21 (22 in a month) male. I've been thinking for about 2 years now that I have something wrong with me (a disease of some sort or parasite) because of how I feel all the time. I have trouble getting to sleep sometime and no matter how much sleep I get I have the worst time getting up for work and I'm tired as hell. Thankfully I work for my dad and haven't gotten fired for it. If I had any other job I would be fired 100 times for this reason, but anyways I also have bad acne regardless of what I do on my face, shoulders, chest, legs and the area between my testicles and anus (sorry bout the last one). I also have a chronic cough that I've had for about the past year where I cough up flem that has what looks like greyish/blackish specks in it. I also itch quite frequently all over my body and at times feel like things are crawling on my skin (I know by now I probably sound like a walking problem). I can't gain weight, I eat ALL THE TIME and I'm still hungry about an hour later. Reason for my title is I was watching a special on parasites on the discovery channel earlier this evening and it got me thinking so I went online to find out what the symptoms were for parasites which included almost all of the symptoms I have (there are more but I'm not going to go into detail). I was wondering if any of what I've described sounds like parasites. Now I know someone will more than likely say something to the effect of go to the doctor or something, but let's be real here....who can afford that? Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated because it's not getting better and I want to move forward in life with a career but the fatigue is hindering me from doing so. Sorry for the length, but it had to be done :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:52 pm

User avatar Hi Yodoteniaga,

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are describing are very non-specific. Some parasites may be able to do this but there are many other things as well.

Parasites can be tested for, most commonly with a stool sample, and if present treatment is often relatively easy.

As you've said, I'm going to have to suggest you see your doctor about this. Some basic labs can help guide your work up to help find a diagnosis for you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here