Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Positive test for herpes but not sores

FINDANSWERS - Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:07 am

I am a married 52 year old female who hasn't had sex for four years (hubby has medical issues) and the doctor ran a test for herpes because I was having urinary frequency ??? and it came back positive for type 2 herpes. I have never had a sore in my life. How can this be possible. Been married 14 years now. I did have other partners 16 years ago but I don't understand how this test can be a strong positive without ever having sores in all this time. Please explain this to me. Very confused.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:45 pm

I can certainly understand your frustration and confusion. I am not familiar with a urinary frequency complaint in connection to Herpes infection. That doesn't mean it isn't there - I just haven't heard of it.

First of all there are some false positive results. IgM antibody tests frequently are in error. I don't know if this is the test you had or not. But it would be ONE possible explanation.

It is also possible to have an initial outbreak of Genital Herpes that is so mild you would not even be aware of it. That would be my guess in your situation. If this is the case and you have not had any further outbreaks, you could be in this kind of puzzling situation. For this reason, some people question even doing screening for asymptomatic herpes infection. Having this kind of information can be upsetting when there is little to be gained by the knowledge anyway as with your situation - in a monogamous, even currently non-sexual relationship. There may be more harm than good to come from this kind of diagnosis.

The primary reasoning for testing would be to encourage the person to use caution in sexual relations to avoid infecting another person or in the case of a pregnant woman, to avoid passing it on to her newborn at the time of birth. If the provider is aware of the infection they can take precautions (possibly even C section delivery).

You may wish to investigate further for confirming diagnosis if it will ease your mind. But if you are without symptoms now, I think you can rest easy on this, especially in your current relationship.

|