Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Whitish yellow solid coming out of tonsillar region

karouni - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:37 am

I'm a 20 year old female with no meds and no history of serious illness. I'm a nonsmoker and don't drink. I don't know my family history because I was adopted as an infant.

This is hard to explain, because I really have no idea what's going on, but I will try my best.

I noticed yesterday that my throat was a bit sore on the right side. I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror and happened to notice a very whitish-yellow color behind the fold that is just before the tonsil (a google search of oral anatomy turned up the palatoglossal arch).

I shined a pen light at it to get a better look and saw that there was a whitish yellow mass coming out of the tissue there. I gently touched the arch, which suprisingly pushed the mass out. It didn't hurt (perhaps very slight soreness), but there was a lot of that mass and not there is a small, somewhat sore hole there. I checked it today, and there was a little more of the mass, so it seems that either something is growing rapidly, or something is being pushed towards the opening. Whatever it is, it seems so unusual and leaves me very concerned. The mass is solid, but not hard and was in several pieces.

I looked on the other side of my mouth and found no such perforation, though where the area is located, it is larger there, whereas the area I pushed the mass out of is now relatively flat. I am wondering if there is possibly a mass behind the tissues on the other side and there simply has been no tearing or opening there.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I really have no idea.
Thanks so much for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 pm

User avatar Hi Karouni,

The tonsils normally can have pits in them that can become larger at certain times. It may be that you have a small, local infection in that part of the tonsil causing the production of the mass of stuff you are seeing. This is actually somewhat common.

I would suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation to see if you need some antibiotics.

|