Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Could it be HIV or serious anxiety issues?

Really Anxious - Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:10 pm

I am 25 year old female on the pill and have been steadily seeing someone for 6 years. About 6 months ago I cheated and had a one night stand. We used a condom and he assured me he had and HIV / STD test 5 months prior and tested negative for everything. I have no reason to suspect I have caught any STD / HIV infection. I think the guilt of cheating has caught up with me and I am anxious of the secret coming out in the most unpleasant way. I admit to being a hypochondriac and last week I have managed to convince myself I have contracted HIV. I believe deep down this is not the case but I have had severe anxiety attacks that include insomnia, stress, headaches. I just need reassurance and unforunately live in a country where I cannot get tested for HIV without risking jail! If I had in fact contract HIV what sort of symptoms would I have experienced, and can I rest easy in knowing that my exposure was low risk and if I haven't experieced any symptoms 6 months post to the encounter that I am safe? Is there an alternative test, besides a blood test, that could confirm I am fine? I just need reassurance, please understand that. Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your patience.
 Smartpatrol9 - Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:42 pm

If he was negative and you used a condom, so long as the condom didn't break, I really would not worry. I did the same thing a while back (convinced myself I had HIV) except I thought I had it from a tattoo (I have never cheated, never will, I love my girlfriend with all my heart). If you are truly worried, please get tested. This is the only sure way to know.

|