News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fever over 2 weeks, pain, and inconclusive labs

foenixaron - Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:39 am

Hi. My 11 year old daughter has been sick for over 2 weeks now. It started with a sudden high fever (102.5) and severe headache, some upper abdominal pain, weeakness and severe fatigue. The fever lasted consistently for 6 days, during which she was seen by doctors 4 times. White cell count was never elevated, though granulocytes have remained a bit high. Mono and strep tests negative all 3 times. Initial Xrays showed slightly enlarged liver, but ultra-sound a week later showed everything is normal.
Her fever over the past 10 days is low in the mornings (96-99) then shoots up in the afternoons (102-103.8). She has been having shooting pains through her hip into her groin area, and in her right knee. She was hospitalized 2 days and a neurologist found the right leg was markedly weaker, so they did an MRI of her lumbar spine but it was all normal. Some of the tests they have run are a tick panel, cat scratch fever panel, and now (at my urging) a test for tularemia. I won't have results for several days. She has lost nearly 10 pounds during this time, stays pale and fatigued. No abnormal white cells found, though some immature ones were mentioned. Her sed rate was 30, and her blood seems very thick when they draw it, and abnormally dark in color.
As background, we live in the country and stray animals find us. We have several dogs and cats (some cats are sickly, mainly diarrhea), chickens and rabbits. Until a few days before she started getting sick, she helped feed and water the chickens and rabbits and did get a few flea bites (why she stopped helping). She has been very healthy all her life. I possibly have lupus, her older brother has thrombocytosis and was tested for leukemia due to changes in his blood and similar symptoms a few years back (it had to do with an infection causing changes to his marrow, but I don't remember what the disorder was called).
Her pediatrician and the other doctors we have seen are stumped, as none of the tests seem to point them in a certain direction. She has missed 2 weeks of school and is just felling lousy all the time.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
 foenixaron - Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:52 pm

I forgot to add that her red blood cell count is pretty high, staying at 14-15 every time blood is drawn. Anemia seems to be a symptom of many of the disorders that match her general symptoms, but that is not a problem in her case.
Again, I'd appreciate any ideas.
Thanks!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here