News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Very Concerned bout possible HSV 2 Infection

worriedboutus - Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi I'm a 29 yr old male with no history of and STD's.
My girlfriend was tested the week of 10/7/07 for HSV 1 and HSV 2.

Her OBGYN had performed a swab culture of 3-4 small red bumps located near her right labia, that she (my girlfriend thought was irritation from shaving or this new pair of underwear she purchased)..the cultures came back Negative.

She also had a swollen lymph node in the pelvic region (same side as the bumps), that hurt her to the touch. Her OBGYN sent her to see a diff. Doc in regards to this. That Doc. perform the blood testing for the HSV 1 and 2.

The results for the HSV 1 were 0.48 and HSV 2 were 10.68 lgG

But, according to her... the Doc made it seem as if though it was not that big a worry and more or less down played it telling her to make an aapt. back with her OBGYN for further instruction. (very weird to me)

My questions are...

Does this indicate the herpes virus in her, or could it be a false postive in some way?

What are my chances if she IS infected of contracted this and how soon would I see a possible outbreak?

And what is the MOST effective test that we should ask for...if we want re-testing for her?

Thanks in advance
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:21 pm

User avatar Hi Worriedboutus,

Unfortunately, the values at which titers are considered positive varies from lab to lab. I was not able to find any reference values during my search on the web.

In regards to HSV1 vs. HSV2, titers are typically not helpful because there is a significant amount of cross-reactivity between the two so that distinguishing them is difficult.

The best way to determine infection is by actual culture of a blister when it is present.

In regards to treatment, if outbreaks are frequent it may be worth while to take an oral suppressive medicine such as valacyclovir (Valtrex).

I hope this helps some.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here