News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: STD?

Bamagirl66 - Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:38 am

I am an 18 F, i have only have oral sex. I have never had any symptoms of an STD, but lately, ive been feeling pressure around my vagina. What could it be? Also, if you have an STD, and they always say after a while, it can lead to long term effects, how long would it have to be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:41 pm

User avatar Hi Bamagirl66,

It would be difficult to contract a vaginal infection from oral contact. I suspect that your symptoms are due to something else. I would recommend you see a gynecologist for an examination to help see what may be going on. There are a few non-STD infections that can occur without sexual contact.

Regarding how long it takes for an STD to cause long-term complications, this is a bit variable. In some girls they may develop rapidly (over the course of several weeks or months). Others may not develop chronic problems for much longer. Things that increase risk include repeated infection, more severe infections (such as pelvic inflammatory disease) and prolonged infection without treatment.

Best wishes.
 Bamagirl66 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:34 pm

so it would hard to contract PID or another infection like that from just having oral and never having vaginal sex?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:08 am

User avatar That is correct. It would be very difficult to get PID from oral sex (but potentially possible if the person had a gonorrhea infection of the throat, which can occur).

Best wishes.
 Bamagirl66 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 pm

what would be the symptoms of an std in the throat?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 pm

User avatar Often a gonorrheal infection of the throat will produce a sore throat. Occasionally it may be assymptomatic. It is tested for with a simple throat culture.

Best wishes.
 Bamagirl66 - Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 pm

what are the chances of contracting an std from giving oral to a guy?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 pm

User avatar Hi again,

If the man had an STD such as gonorrhea or chlamydia the infection could spread to your throat. It would not be expected to spread to the vaginal area from this contact.

When being tested for STD's if a throat infection is possible it is important to let your clinician know this so that a throat swab can be performed as well.

Best wishes.
 Bamagirl66 - Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:37 pm

if you were to be infected with gonnorhea in the throat, about how long does it take for it to spread to the cervix or vagina area?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 am

User avatar Hi Bamagirl66,

Gonorrhea would not spread from the throat to the vagina. There would need to be sexual contact from an infected person in the vaginal area for this infection to occur.

Best wishes.
 Bamagirl66 - Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:34 am

ive heard the risk for hpv and hiv are low from oral, is that true?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here