News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Identification of penile infection

jrcnyc - Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:45 am

Hi,

I am 22, Male. I don't have any allergies, I'm not on any medications. I do have eczema which I inherited from my mom, but it only shows up when I am stressed and only on my palms. I've never had any surgeries, in fact I've never been to the hospital for even a stitch.

Up until recently I never had a cold sore either. I got one, which I've been treating very successfully with OTC Abreva topical cream and L-lysine (amino acid) supplement. I woke up with a somewhat swollen eye today, and mildly itchy now and then and I'm hoping it's not an ocular version of the cold sore infection.

My big problem, though, and why I'm writing, are these stinging/itchy red spots on my penis that are freaking me out. Here's what they look like:

http://www.nkusigep.org/db/themes/darkb ... ection.jpg

I can't identify them from online research. Hydrocortisone cream is somewhat effective at releiving the burn/itch from it. It doesn't look like the herpes blisters photographs online, nor yeast or what have you.

I'm really worried, without insurance, and though I know there is no substitute for a doctor's examination, I am hoping to get some direction. I really appreciate this site and anyone who could take a minute to give me their best guess. Thank you so much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:29 pm

User avatar Hi Jrcnyc,

There are a few issues here. First, if you suspect that the cold sore virus (herpes virus) is causing the eye infection it is crucial that you have this evaluated right away. Herpes infection of the eye can quickly become very serious and endanger the eye. This is uncommon but must be taken seriously due to the severity of the outcomes.

Regarding your penile issues, I agree that it does not appear to be a herpes blister. It's a little difficult to say from the picture. It may be still be a fungal skin infection. It may also be a contact irritation.

If STD's are possible I would recommend you be tested for them because they are commonly assymptomatic in men. The picture doesn't make me think of any particular infection but testing is important.

There are often clinics that can see patients on a free or reduced fee basis for those that do not have health insurance. Your local health department can help you find these clinics if needed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here