Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Ongoing issue - STD or something else??

question1234 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:13 pm

Age: 24
Sex: Female
No past diagnoses / surgeries

Over three weeks ago I had sexual contact with a guy whose ex girlfriend had genital herpes. He told me she never had an outbreak when they were together and he never developed any lesions etc. In other words, he claimed he was clean. About a week after our contact I developed a cold sore on my mouth. I wasn't too worried because I've had one before. A week or so after that, I started to have a strange pain on my left labia. No visible sore, but the area was very red and I had white thick discharge. I got nervous and went to the doctors. I was prescribed Diflucan and some other yeast infection ointment. My symptoms did not get better and I just found out my test was negative for yeast anyway! I went to the doctor again because the pain persisted in my left labia and the opening to my vagina was very red - burning sensation when I pee too. My doc did not think it was herpes, but tested me with a swab to ease my mind (no lesion to test, just swabbed the whole area). The test came back negative for herpes. A couple weeks later I am still having issues! I went to my gyno and she gave me gynazole and some anti-fungal ointment (ointment has provided relief of redness and irritation in groin area). She also said it didn't look like herpes! However, my vagina area is still burning / irritated and red! The inside of the labia is red on the right side (left side is better now! so weird) - the inside of the right labia has a weird shiny red look to it...dry feeling. I also noticed some peeling at one point! What could this be? A dermatits issue? I've been getting weird pimple like bumps also - not sore to the touch and they are hard. They are on the outer labia. I use to shave the entire area but my doc told me to stop. Could this be a skin infection from shaving? I am just very concerned and confused. It is also uncomfortable between my vagina and butt area -sore feeling.
I've been using these meds and my symptoms have not gone away. Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:03 am

User avatar Hi Questions1234,

This may be a different STD other than herpes. Your description doesn't make me particularly suspicious of an STD. It actually does sound very much like a yeast infection. Sometimes, the outer skin infections can take more than one dose of fluconazole to treat. You may want to talk with your doctor about rechecking for this.

Another possibility would be a bacterial skin infection such as with a bacteria called streptococcus.

A contact dermatitis may also be possible.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor for reevaluation since your symptoms are not improving.

Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:24 am

User avatar Hello Question1234, I have reposted your second post here. In an effort to keep our forums manageable we request that follow ups be posted in the same original thread. It makes it easier for those searching our database of posts to get information.

question1234 wrote:Age: 24
Female
No prior surgeries

I posted in this forum about 3 weeks ago. I had ongoing pain in my left labia, no visible sore, but irritation and discomfort throughout my vaginal area. I was tested twice for herpes (swab tested) and both came back negative. Since that time I've completely stopped shaving per the doctors orders. This past Saturday I gave in and shaved the entire area...I couldn't stand the hair anymore (it was itching). Previous to my issue I was shaving the entire area regularly and had a bikini wax about 4 weeks prior.
After I shaved on Saturday I noticed a hard bump on my left labia. I totally freaked out. Since then I've been very anxious and 'feeling' it get more sore. Today I went to the doctor to have it tested...since now there is something in the region. At first glance she said it does not look like a herpes lesion and there seems to be hair in/around the bump. She swabbed tested the area, she dragged the swab over it repeatedly (the bump is long, alittle above the skin, not round) and now it is super sore! I realize I will get my results in 2 days, but I am hoping for some quick advice / help. Any thoughts on what this could be? Does it sound like herpes? I got very worried because I got my period today and I've read people get lesions around their period. Could just be a coincidence. Please help.

This new bump does not particularly sound like herpes to me either. This may be a blocked gland. The opening to the vagina is lined with many glands and pores. One of these may have become clogged causing a build up of fluid behind the pore. This may be the lump you are feeling.

I would recommend you follow up with your gynecologist. If it is a gland, using warm compresses can sometimes help open the pore.

|