Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: STD or yeast infection?

curiousgirl - Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:17 am

Hi. I'm 22 years old, female. As far as I know the only thing that's really bad within my family is diabetes and high blood pressure. I do not have any past surgeries. I am sexually active. My problem is that, my vagina has been itchy. It comes and goes. So one week, last month, it go really bad. So I decided to go to my primary doctor and ask what was going on. She asked me questions of what I feel, etc. So she told me it might be just a yeast infection. She told me that vaginal itchiness involves wearing tight pants and moisture. So she told me to wear loose clothes and make sure that I keep my vagina dry. Well, it went away and then came back again. Usually after sex. Me and my bf have been sexually active since early this year. So, is it normal or should I be more worried? Does it usually come back?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:55 am

User avatar Hi Curiousgirl,

Your symptoms do sound very much like a yeast infection. If your symptoms return you may want to try one of the over-the-counter yeast infection medications. They are generally safe to use.

When STD's are possible I always recommend testing. STD's can present with vaginal itching or may be without symptoms.

curiousgirl - Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:34 am

even when it's like inside? and i feel this rough-type skin in the itchy areas. that's yeast infection?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:09 pm

User avatar Yeast can affect both the skin of the outside of the vagina as well as the inside. It is actually more common to have a yeast infection with symptoms only on the inner part of the vagina without the outside being affected.

|