News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Vaginal sores

lizzyb - Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:53 am

I am a 26 year old female. This past august i had 2 sores come up on my outer vaginal wall, of course I was concerned so I went to Urgent Care cause my dr was out for the month. I showed them and she said that it looked like ingrown hairs, cause I do save everything. The did go ahead and do the herpes type 2 test and they said that if anything came up that they would call. Nothing came up and they went away. Then just a few days ago they are back. I called my dr and she cant get me in until weds. It is very irritating and they are sore to the touch. It is only on my left side and I have no other side effects. They don't even look like herpes at all. They look kinda like canker sores. Is there anything I can do to help them out?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:25 pm

User avatar Hi Lizzyb,

These may be sores due to plugged glands. The vaginal opening is lined with multiple glands that occasionally can become clogged. Then, these can become infected also. If the area is painful it may be infected so I would recommend keeping this appointment with your doctor.

Occasionally warm compresses to the area can help open these pores, if this is what it is.

Given your description I would still be a little concerned about herpes. To effectively test for the virus the swab must be done of the base of the sore and with a special viral culture. Your doctor can help say if the lesions look like they may be herpes and can repeat the tests if necessary.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here