Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Vaginal sores

lizzyb - Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:53 am

I am a 26 year old female. This past august i had 2 sores come up on my outer vaginal wall, of course I was concerned so I went to Urgent Care cause my dr was out for the month. I showed them and she said that it looked like ingrown hairs, cause I do save everything. The did go ahead and do the herpes type 2 test and they said that if anything came up that they would call. Nothing came up and they went away. Then just a few days ago they are back. I called my dr and she cant get me in until weds. It is very irritating and they are sore to the touch. It is only on my left side and I have no other side effects. They don't even look like herpes at all. They look kinda like canker sores. Is there anything I can do to help them out?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:25 pm

User avatar Hi Lizzyb,

These may be sores due to plugged glands. The vaginal opening is lined with multiple glands that occasionally can become clogged. Then, these can become infected also. If the area is painful it may be infected so I would recommend keeping this appointment with your doctor.

Occasionally warm compresses to the area can help open these pores, if this is what it is.

Given your description I would still be a little concerned about herpes. To effectively test for the virus the swab must be done of the base of the sore and with a special viral culture. Your doctor can help say if the lesions look like they may be herpes and can repeat the tests if necessary.

|