Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Worried about HIV for quite some time.

ambie1 - Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi, I'm a 20 yr old female. What I'm about to say is even ridiculous for me to think that I did. I in no way would do it again, and has caused me months of worrying.
In September 2006 I had unprotected sex with a guy I knew and was scared I could possibly get pregnant. Very, very stupidly I took 6 birth control pills after my friend told me that more birth control acts similar to the Plan B. The next night I had horrible night sweats, an achy neck, a very high temp. Scared I went to the doctor the next morning, but all my symptoms seemed to have disappeared. In November I had a complete HIV/STD test, and all negative. In March, I had sex with one guy that I knew (without a condom) and one other guy that I didn't know so well (with a condom). About a month later I had sex with the guy that I knew again without a condom and he accidently ejaculated inside me. Earlier that night we all were playing in the rain. The next morning,I was so scared, so again ridiculous as it sounds, I took 6 birth control pills.I went out that night and had I'd say about 7 beers. When I went to bed that night I started to get night sweats bad, and a high Fever. The next morning I woke up and my throat was incredibley swollen. I felt horrible. I went to the doctor and the mono came back negative, and the strep was negative, the CBC for my WBC was 15. My temperature was almost 104. I had a chain of 3 Lymph nodes swell in what they said was the posterior chain on my right side. They did not hurt and were not warm to touch. They gave me Antibiotics and sent me home. I remembered that alot of these sypmtoms, such as the night sweats, achy neck, and Fever, were associated with the last time I took the birthcontrol. Within a week, My throat stopped hurting and I felt much better, no Fever, not even low grade. My tonsils however were still swollen and the Lymph nodes were still there. I went to my Family Doctor about a month later and he did another CBC (which came back with a WBC count of 7. 4) and another strep test (which came back negative). He said the nodes were nothing to worry about. and that the tonsils might never go back to normal size if the infection is bad enough. He felt no other enlarged nodes anywhere.
So, I made the mistake to research on the internet about HIV and then got so so so very worried that I might have it. Just because of the Nodes in my neck and the tonsils. I had no other symptoms till about a week ago when I had a rather painful feeling in my armpit. I felt around and it was a tiny little node enlarged and it hurt so bad. In about 4 days it was gone. Then, I got another one in the same armpit, just as painful and the skin slightly red. It went away in about the same time. My tonsils are still slightly swollen, and not red. I usually have alot of drainage though, so it's confusing.
I have not lost any weight (if anything gained some), no Diarrhea, no night sweats, no abnormal head aches, no rashes, nothing but the tonsils and nodes.
I was just worried because I didn't know if those nodes could be related in anyway. And if this means I have HIV. I haven't had any sexual encounters since the last I told you, I'm just scared to go have the test done, I know that this is ridiculous. I've just been tormenting myself with worry and am scared of getting the results back.

So, I guess I'm asking if this could be HIV or sounds something like HIV, what with the birthcontrol issue and playing in the rain added in there. I'd appreciate any help. I am going to get the test, I just wanted to see what you had to say...

Oh, and in June I was diagnosed with High Risk HPV, my Gyno said it was nothing to worry about because almost everyone has it at some point in their lives...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:43 pm

I can understand your worry and I'm glad you are going to be tested. Not because I think you are infected but because if you are not, it will give you peace of mind and hopefully cause you to be careful in the future. If by some chance you are infected, early detection can be helpful in keeping the disease under control.

To go back to your encounter, it is highly unlikely that if you did get exposed to HIV that you would have symptoms the very next day. It takes a little while for the virus to reproduce in your body, then your body starts to fight it and it would be at least a couple of weeks before a test would even pick it up. So, whatever was going on with you was not likely HIV-related. Besides, you did get tested and it was negative. The response you had to the birth control pill overdose would not be typical (fever) but it can cause nausea and vaginal bleeding.

My guess is that the next episode was also just an infection. Sounds like you kind of abused your body that night!

So, get the testing done and resolve to be more responsible with your sexual encounters in the future. This kind of stress and worrying could cause anyone to feel very ill.

ambie1 - Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:18 pm

Ok, sorry it took so long to respond.
I just have a quick question.
So, the lymph nodes in my neck arent really anything to be worried about? because that's the only place they popped up and they are still there. I am informed about "shotty nodes" and I feel that's likely what they are. but, I was just wondering if it was HIV they nodes would likely be generalized, correct?
I know that the virus takes a few weeks to reproduce and cause any symptoms at all, i was just worried because a few weeks before i did have sex with someone although there was a condom used. I think that's why I feel so worried in the first place. That and the fact that the internet can lead anyones mind to wonder and make a diagnosis on their own.
So, if you could just answer those quick little questions I would appreciate it. I am going to get the rapid test done tomorrow so I will know for sure. I'm just pretty scared right now, even though it all will work out one way or the other.
Thank you for your time!

|