News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Bad Ferver

rickdeckard - Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:41 pm

Dear Dr,

I have a constant fever for three days
fluctuates from 99-102, once 103
I have a hoarse cough, had some phelgm, but now its clear phelgm
Body aches and pain
Have used tylenol sparingly and cold compresses

I'm male, 34, no current or past conditions or ailmants
no surgeries

My brother has lukehmia and liver cancer as well, everyone else in family of six are healthy

thanks !!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:50 pm

User avatar Typically a low-grade fever such as you describe is associated with a viral infection and you just have to give your body a chance to heal itself. It is possible to develop a secondary bacterial infection so if symptoms get worse, you spike a high fever, have any deterioration of mental state, consciousness, trouble breathing, or other significant symptoms you should see a doctor.

I'll use this opportunity to also push flu shots. You can prevent the most debilitating flu forms this year if you get this immunization. I would encourage it, especially for anyone living with or near someone with a suppressed immune system (as with chemo, pregnancy, infants, etc.).

This could last a week before you get well but if it lingers or additional symptoms, don't hesitate to get medical attention. Do not take antibiotics for a viral infection. Not only is it a waste of money, it doesn't work and can do harm.

Good luck.
 rickdeckard - Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 pm

HI!

After a 4th night of fever, I got worried, it went as high as

I went to a Med Dr in the morning, my pulse was fine, so was my heart rate, my lungs seemed good too, BUT she said it may be a walking pneumonia.
I got Azithromyc prescribed for five days.

Its the sixth day with fever, second day with the antibiotic, the fever isnt as high tonight, 101.6
( not 103.6 )

Should I still be concerned ? How long does a bad viral / bacterial attack last ?

Sincerely,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:20 pm

User avatar I'm glad you saw a doctor. The higher fever is typical with bacterial infection. It is impossible to say just how long it will take for complete recovery but oral antibiotics can take a couple of days to kick in. Each person's response is different. The fact that your fever was reduced suggests good response to the treatment.

Good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here