Forum Name: Other infections

Question: ingrown toenail removal- help on what to do.

Angler769 - Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 pm

I am a 20 year old male and I Just had my toe nail partially removed to fix a ingrown nail infection. I was told to take off my bandages in 5 hours because it was bleeding badly while in the doctors office. It is still bleeding after 6 hours what do I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:54 pm

User avatar Hi Angler769,

With persistent bleeding I would recommend you put direct pressure (fairly firm) on the bleeding area for 10 minutes without removing the pressure. This is a long time but it is important. The full 10 minutes will allow a clot to form. Removing the pressure too soon can tear apart the forming clot.

If it doesn't stop bleeding after this then it is time to go back to the doctor to see if there is something more needed to get it to stop.

Angler769 - Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Thank you

|