News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: anxiety causing symptoms?

roodhoo - Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:29 pm

I am a 23 year old gay male. The last time I had receptive anal sex was 2 years and was protected. I have never had unprotected sex. Shortly after my last time, I became constipated for about a week, having to eventually take laxatives, which worked. It's been a long while, but I think I also had a sore throat. Since then I have had anxiety (off and on) about whether or not I had been infected however, negligently, I have not had any sort of testing. But I have two questions,
1. Is constipation a normal symptom of initial infection?
2. Can Anxiety of whether you have HIV, cause you to believe you have the virus? I have had a history of worrying about having diseases (I first learned about AIDS in elementary school and began to think I had AIDS - of course, then they were saying one could contract the virus by way of a mosquito bite). I many times, narrow in on one of my physical and health aspects and believe it is a result of having HIV (ie, believing my cheeks are sunken in, having dental problems like rotting teeth, cuts that take a while to heal, going through spells of depression, etc.)

I'd appreciate any helpful info...

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:07 pm

User avatar Hi Roodhoo,

While your risk is on the lower end it is by no means zero so I would recommend you be tested for HIV. At this point it would be expected that a negative test really is negative so this will put your mind at ease or let you know that you are positive.

Anxiety is a powerful thing and can certainly convince a person they have a disease. Testing will alleviate this issue also.

Constipation is not a common symptom of HIV infection. More commonly it presents as a flu-like illness.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here