News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Sinus Feels like its alive for over 4 months now.

wolwil - Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:13 am

1. Age = 28
2. Sex = M
3. Past diagnoses = None
4. Past surgeries = Broken Nose when I was 8
5. Family history = Nothing
6. Current Medications = None

I had an infected tooth (the fang one) and it needed to be pulled. It smelled really bad before i had it pulled and I had costant nasil drain out of the side of the infected tooth. After my tooth was pulled the smell went away but now my one nasil cavity is contantly clogged and has a slow thick drain. It feels like there is something living in my sinus kind of like if a small maggot is burrowing there moving real slow and digging. I hope this is not the case but that's what it feels like in a nutshell. But for the last 4 months I have not been able to clear up what ever is loddged in there.

After I had my tooth pulled I injured my back and then came down sick imediatly the next day. this was a bad sore throte and 103 feaver for about 1 week then I would go about 3 days feelin fine then I was sick again for a week with the same symptoms. this went on for about 2 1/2 months. I have not gotten sick now for about 1 1/2 months but I still have this clogged sinus. I have never in my life had a sinus infection or any nasil allergies. You would think with all the antibiotics that I was on for my tooth infection and for being sick that if it were bacterial it would have been gone along with my illness. They gave me a throte culture and nothing came back.

I am definatly going to go to see the doctor but I have no idea on what tests they could run. I just don't want to go and for them to tell me oh its prolly nothin just take these and come back after if you still have problems. I know antibiotics will not work because I was on a ton durring this time. I need to know what to ask the doctor for test wise or any ideas on what it could be. I am sure if I had some sort of look thru at my nasil cavities that they would find something wrong. It just doesn't feel right anymore its just wierd.

This brings me to my second ? What is that scan called and does insurance normally cover that sort of thing. If Insurance doesn't than I will need to go the antibiotic route but I dread it. Me and antibiotics don't mix well.

Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 am

User avatar Hi Wolwil,

From your description it sounds like you may have a case of chronic sinusitis. This may have developed on its own or have been due to extension of the tooth infection into the maxillary sinus just above it.

If imaging is necessary, a sinus CT scan is typically the test of choice but often the testing is not needed.

Treatment for chronic sinusitis is typically with 3 weeks of an appropriate antibiotic.

Seeing your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here