Forum Name: Other infections

Question: infected elbow im not sure advice needed please

Diane637 - Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:58 pm

My friend Ashely has had a red bump on her elbow for years. The doctor told her she probably got something stuck in it. The pass 2 weeks it started to get really red and very painful. Then last night she said yellow puss started to come out of it and when here boyfriends mom pulled the skin away there was green puss. I told her it might have been a cyst that developed an just became infected over time. Im not entirely sure though. She tried to register on this site but said it wouldnt let her. So she asked me to post the question. Do you think she needs to see a doctor about it or will it go away on its own. Any advice to what this may be will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Diane
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 pm

User avatar Hi Diane,

There are a few possibilities for what may have been the cause of the underlying lump. It may have been something embedded in the skin or possibly a small cyst or other type of skin structure.

It does sound like it it may have become infected causing the increasing redness and pain. If the redness and pain are continuing she should see her doctor as it may require some antibiotics to clear up.

Sometimes after the area drains the infection resolves. If all the redness and pain goes away in the next day or two it will likely heal fine without any antibiotics.

|