News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HIV Risk??

mecster - Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Ok.. so I am a 23 yr old bisexual male who has just found out that I have contracted chylamidia. I have contracted this through unprotected anal sex with another male. I have taken the treatment given to me (the 4 tablets) so hopefully I will be cured. Now I am waiting for my HIV results from the blood test. My question is (after searching endlessly with no hope) is there an increased risk that I could of caught HIV, not just because of the unprotected sex but that I got chylamidia in the anus?? Sorry if this sounds all jumbled up and confusing!! Just very worried!
 Sandy Tracy RN - Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:37 pm

User avatar Hi Mecster,

First of all the symptoms of chlamydia usually show up one to three weeks after infection. So if you have been sexually active with more than one partner be sure to know who it was that infected you they need treatment also. If the person who gave you chlamydia also is HIV positive the chances are increased that it will be passed along. This is due to inflamed tissue holding a higher level of the virus and being released in the semen. If you have chlamydia and and are HIV negative the chances of you contracting HIV from someone else is also high since the immune system is compromised.

You are on the right track being tested and treated. I wish you good luck and keep me posted on the results.
Sandy RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here