News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: purple spots on or just under skin

mike19856 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:02 pm

Age - 31 Sex - male past diagnoses / surgeries / family history / current medications - none

I should go get tested for hiv but I feel I can't b/c at this time if I do test positve I will be deported from the current country where I am working.

I was involved in a high risk exposure one month ago.

Since I have been a wreck - the thing that worries me most is the purple spots just under the skin.

I am wondering can it be something else than hiv??? What could I get tested for, besides hiv??

I am thinking about not gettting tested b/c of deporatation and also b/c it is my understanding that I wouldn't receive any meds right away anyways / plus have little insurance so want to continue working.

Can you provide any insight into the purple spots just under the skin - etc. the other day they looked like I drew a pen on my skin - then they disapeared.

Your insight is apreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am

User avatar Hi Mike19856,

Often, when people describe purple spots I am suspicious that they may be a collection of very small blood vessels (capillaries) just below the skin called a capillary hemangioma. If the spots come and go I don't typically think of HIV right away.

A typical presentation for an acute HIV infection is to have flu-like symptoms initially. Unfortunately, HIV can present with atypical symptoms or no symptoms at all. If you were positive, treatment regimens now are very tailored to the individual patient. Some patients get very aggressive therapy very quickly while others get a milder treatment regimen. Treatment by an infectious disease physician or physician experienced with HIV is important to help guide therapy.

I would recommend that you have these spots evaluated. If you are not comfortable testing for HIV at this point then you can always wait to see if your doctor suggests these may be from HIV or explain your situation to him/her to see if an appropriate treatment plan can be arranged.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here