Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Tetanus

slikluke - Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:03 pm

I got a cut on my toe 3 weeks ago and had never had a tetanus shot that i can remember. I felt a soreness in my right jaw a few days ago and thought i better get a tetanus shot, so i did. The soreness in my jaw hasn't gone away but hasnt gotten any worse. If i had gotten tetanus when i cut my toe would the vaccine take care of it or is it possible that i could still have tetanus? is their a test to be sure? i haven't had any other
symptoms . Im male, 24 years old, no current medications.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:30 am

User avatar It is possible you had a primary series of tetanus vaccine as a child without you remembering it. If your parents had you immunized routinely prior to school entry you probably had this and have some protection now. this would have been called DTP, DTaP, Td, or DT.

Boosters are recommended every ten years following the initial vaccines and this helps your body to kick into gear to fight the toxin quickly but even without the booster, if you had the initial series you are likely OK on this.

Since your symptoms have not been severe, I would guess you are OK but if you have an increase of symptoms or you don't get better you should get additional help.

These are reasons to seek immediate care:

* A recent injury and muscle cramps or spasms at or near the injury.

* Trouble swallowing or muscle spasms in the facial muscles.

Diagnosis is made by symptoms typically - progressive muscle spasms, fever, irregular heart beat, pain and muscle cramps.

slikluke - Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 pm

So I have only had a tetanus shot in the form of dpt at 3,6, and 9 months of age. Plus the one i received after i felt the soreness in my jaw. the soreness hasn't gone away after one week since it first appeared, and it has gotten slightly worse. what would you recommend?

|