Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Interview about antibiotics?

storaged - Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Hello, my name is Kathryn. I'm 18 years old and a senior in high school. I'm doing my senior project on the overuse of antibiotics and I want to get a doctor's view on the subject. I'd like to conduct an email or telephone interview on the pressures doctors feel on prescribing antibiotics, what their procedure is before prescribing, and the overall importance of this issue. If anyone would be willing to help me out or could refer me to someone who could help I would really appreciate it. My email is kathrynrich32@gmail.com, so you could either email me there or comment here if you're interested. Thanks so much!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:54 pm

User avatar Hi Storaged,

This is an interesting topic that I'm sure some of our readers would like to know about as well. If you'd like, feel free to post your questions as a follow up to this thread and I'll see if I can help you.

storaged - Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for responding, sorry for my delay in answering!

I thought of a good amount of questions, all of which would be helpful for my project. I'm going to put them all here and anyone willing to help can answer as many or as few as they like. Here it goes.

1. How often to you prescribe antibiotics?
2. Have patients requested antibiotics when they were unnecessary?
3. What are the most common ailments for which you prescribe antibiotics?
4. Have you received formal education on antibiotics resistance?
5. Have any of your patients had infections that did not respond to multiple antibiotics?
6. How important do you think the issue of antibiotics resistance is?
7. Do you take this issue into consideration in your practice?

Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:09 pm

User avatar Here's my answers to your questions.

1) I prescribe antibiotics on a daily basis. I am a hospital medicine doctor so I see patients mostly in the hospital and deal with sicker patients.

2) When I am in clinic I frequently have patients that come in to see me expecting an antibiotics. Often, it takes some convincing of them that what they have is not from a bacteria and does not need an antibiotic.

3) I frequently prescribe antibiotics for skin infections (cellulitis) and pneumonias. When I am in the clinic it is most commonly pneumonias and ear infections.

4) Yes I have.

5) It is rare but I have had several patients I have been caring for in the hospital that have developed multi-drug resistant infections. These can be very serious and difficult to treat. Single drug resistant bacteria are becoming quite common and we must now think of this on a daily basis.

6) Antibiotic resistance is incredibly important to consider. Appropriate use of antibiotics involves not only choosing a proper antibiotic and not using antibiotics when not needed, but also making sure that antibiotics are taken as they should be. Failure in any of these areas can dramatically increase the risk of resistance developing.

7) I consider antibiotic resistance basically on a daily basis.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

|