Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Please help, generalized painful lymph nodes

NAERO - Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:01 pm

I can not get my other post to open, it hangs...fortunately I had this one typed up in Word to repost incase the doc was having the same prob.

I have a long scenario, which I will try to shorten so as to not take too much of your time.

I've been married for 11 years to the only person I had ever had sex with. We seperated and on June 29 I had protected sex (vaginal) with a man and gave him unprotected sex. I have good oral hygene, however I had cryptic tonsils, which might be a passage for transmission.

Two weeks later July 11th, My tonsils swelled together (no pain) and I began having horrible night sweats. I was on my period so I contributed the night sweats to PMS maybe.

I went to the doc and they took mono test, strep tests and CBC - all were negative. Prescribed Antibiotics and sent me to an ENT who removed my tonsils, biopsy revealed no cancer, just a bit of amoeba like bacteria. They were 3X3X7 and 3X3X8 CM.. huge :) EBV test revealed a past infection, not a current one.

Continued having horrible night sweats nightly, low grade Fevers all day, red (flushing) skin on my face and arms, intermittent diahrea.
On August 15th (6 weeks after the sex) the guy and I both took rapid HIV tests, and they were both negative. This was 6 weeks past our sex, but I don't know who he had been with prior to me.
My doctor took an ANA(lupus) test, which came back normal. Sed rate was taken 3 times over 3 months - went from 8 to 26 to 8. CBC is always normal. At my doctors suggestion, I have taken HIV tests all the way out to a rapid one on 11/26 - which is five months past sex with this guy. HOWEVER
On 11/1 I came down ill for one day with a high Fever, sore throat and aches. The next day all of my nodes were hurting and enlarged. And today, 12/1, they continue to hurt like crazy - an intense burning ache in the ones in my collarbone, shoulder, both sides of my neck, between my breast on the right side, under both arms, on the crease of one of my elbows, both sides of my groin, down the inside of my thigh and behind my knees. It's ALL DAY pain that never goes away - and nothing helps to releive it. and I still have horrible night sweats 2 to 3 times per night.
I have congestive Heart failure (peripartum Cardiomyopathy - my body attacked my own heart - sort of an immune issue) and take Toprol for the last 6 years. My heart is doing fine.

My questions are simple:
1) If this was HIV, would it have shown up in one of the 9 tests taken, especially in the one taken at 4 months and 29 days?
2) Is it possible to have a strain in which the body can not produce antibodies for?
3) Could this just be a very long seroconversion process?
4) Antibotics are of no help, my family has never come down sick from me, and my CBC does not indicate infection. Aren't these things all consistent with HIV?
5) Could the guy have been in his window period and thats why he was negative?
6)What else would cause these types of symptoms. My doc is at a loss and I feel like death warmed over.

Now that my husband and I have reconciled, we'd like to have intercourse, but are very scared. I won't deny that I'm an anxious person, but I simply can not make up a Fever and pain (ripping and burning sensations) in my nodes, the ones in the collar bone and neck hurt the very most.

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:12 pm

User avatar Hi Naero,

Your symptoms certainly seem to be from an infection. The hard part is determining which infection. I would recommend you see an Infectious Disease specialist.

HIV testing, including the quick test, don't test for the virus directly. Instead, they test for antibodies against HIV. Usually by 3 months, most have developed antibodies. If there is concern, there is another test that looks for HIV DNA. This test can become positive within a week in some cases and is very reliable by one month.

Persistence is key. Following up with your doctor is important.

|