Forum Name: Other infections

Question: HPV

Merilyn - Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:47 pm

I have been diagnosed with HPV for one month now. I can't stand it, and I can not find any decent information on cures, treatments, whether or not the virus just goes away, how I can boost my immune system, if I have been treated, is it still easy to transfer the disease even with a condom? I can't stand not knowing what is going on. Also, how often does it just go away? Please help answering anything that can help!!!! :(
 cyberchick - Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:42 pm

well i might not be a doctor, but i was diagnosed with hpv too.from what i know it is not as bad as you may think it is. when i found out i thought my life was over. well i know that there is no cure for it. there are tons of kinds of hpv. i have the kind which can cause cancer. i think that you should tell your doctor how you don't know much and you would like to know more. i know when i found out they didn't tell me really anything at all which made me even more boggled. with trasfering through a condom(once again i am not a doc) i still think there will always be a chance. i know it is not much but it is more then nothing. i wish i was a doc and i could help more but i am not.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:17 pm

User avatar dear merilyn,

i would try to explain few things which might be of help to u.HPV is a type of virus (Human papillomavirus) that causes warts. A few types cause warts on hands and feet but many other types cause warts on the genitals (sex organs or private parts).u didnt specify where exactly u have warts.
anyway,the most common way to get it is by having sex or touching the genitals of someone who already has the infection. Rarely, people can be born with the infection or children can get it while being bathed or changed. Sometimes people become infected with HPV and the warts will not develop for many years.
Condoms (rubbers) may help to slow its spread. If you have had sex with another person many times, they are probably already infected.
If you are a woman with genital warts, you should have a Pap smear every year to rule out cervical cancer which is found related to HPV.

well to b frank i havent treated a wart patient yet but i can comment on treatment modalities which are commonly used:
One way is putting chemicals such as Podophyllin, Condylox, or trichloroacetic acid on the wart to kill and dissolve it. Another is to freeze them off. The warts can also be cut off using electric loops, lasers, or surgery. The medicine Aldara can activate your immune system to kill the wart cells. You should never use over the counter cures for warts near the sex organs because they can cause severe irritation. These treatments will get rid of the warts but you may not ever get rid of HPV itself. The virus may still be inside and may cause more warts in the future. This is why it may take a long time to cure genital warts. Always talk to your doctor about your treatment and make sure you understand what to do and when to come back.

i hope that answers most of your questions.if any queries,feel fre to comment.

|